A blog about my photos, my artwork, quotations, ideas, collections, passions, England, authors, handwork of all kinds, rusty bits, buffalo, and architectural detail...for starters. And the occasional rant.



Friday, August 5, 2011

What's the Opposite of Rant?

There does not appear to be an antonym for the noun 'rant'.  Lots of synonyms: bombast, harangue, tirade and many more.  The best they can do is 'calm' or 'quiet' - neither of which will do.  Regardless of this semantic problem, I want to say something good in an emphatic manner, so call it what you will...here it is.

Last week I bought 2 pints of blueberries at a local farmers market.  I ate them both straight out of the box (yes, I washed them first), one on the second day and the other on the third.  Here is the wonderful and amazing thing: from those two pints, I had to throw away exactly ONE blueberry.  Even that was a close call, my mother would have eaten it in a heartbeat.  Now I ask you, when was the last time you ate even one pint of blueberries that had been so carefully picked and handled, and so rushed to market, that every single berry was good.  And they were all truly ripe!

And so in celebration of this wonderful and strange happening, I will break my rule of not naming names in hopes that it may do them some good.  The berries came from Crawford Farms in Prosser, WA and I bought them at Yakima Market on Bothell Way.

As I write this I am munching blueberries out of another pint I bought yesterday and at this point they all look perfect.

Maybe I need to coin a word for the opposit of a rant...how about a 'laud'. I have just written a laud...sounds good, I like it.  (Just looked it up and it appears it is already in use as a noun, but if it catches on I'll take credit for it anyway.)

1 comment:

  1. Wish I lived in the area. :)

    I love blueberries! You're fortunate to be able to get such perfect ones.

    A 'laud' sounds good.

    ReplyDelete