A blog about my photos, my artwork, quotations, ideas, collections, passions, England, authors, handwork of all kinds, rusty bits, buffalo, and architectural detail...for starters. And the occasional rant.



Sunday, February 23, 2014

365 Photo Challenge - January

The stitch plate of a vintage sewing machine showing patent information...
in case you were wondering.

Being one of those people with more time than sense - my mother used to speak of people with more money than sense but that obviously isn't me - I decided I needed a photo challenge to keep me busy this year. It would also, I told myself, help me hone my lighting and macro skills. At this point, I rather doubt it will do either, but I am having a lot of fun with it anyway. The plan is to take a photo, edit it, and then upload to Flickr every day.

To keep myself interested, I decided to have a different theme each month and I'm trying to concentrate on textures and patterns. Taking into account what would be largely indoor and outdoor themes, I came up with this schedule:
   
    January - Metals...done & dusted
    February - Fabric...going well
    March - Stone...you'd be surprised how many rocks I have in my house, just in case it snows
    April - Foliage...piece of cake in the spring
    May - Flora...good excuse to visit the lovely gardens in the Pacific Northwest
    June - Sky...about the only month we have actual clouds instead of 'shades of gray'
    July - Food...well, plenty of that around here!
    August - Ceramic...china, tile, pottery
    September - Fur, Feather & Fuzz...some of my favorite things
    October - Wood...from tree trunks to table tops
    November - Liquid...this is the only one I am worried about
    December - Paper...I could do a month of paper in any one room of my house

January is now past and there was no lack of metal inspiration, it spite of the cold weather keeping me indoors much of the time. Two thirds of the way through February and the same could be said of fabric - no surprise to anyone who has been in my studio. Here is a mosaic of some of my favorites from January.


 And for good measure...one from outdoors


And one from a friend's home...

I'll keep you posted as the year goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment