A blog about my photos, my artwork, quotations, ideas, collections, passions, England, authors, handwork of all kinds, rusty bits, buffalo, and architectural detail...for starters. And the occasional rant.



Sunday, February 23, 2014

Kersey, Suffolk

Several years ago I picked up an old postcard of Kersey, a small village in Suffolk, England. It showed the main street with a ford across it - which appeared to be it's main claim to fame. Checking the Wiki entry, it's namesake 'Kersey Cloth' and the ford are mentioned up top, and that's about it. The parish contains the village of Kersey and the hamlets of Kersey Tye, Kersey Upland, Wicker Street Green, and William's Green - altogether about 350 people.

We really only went through Kersey because it was on our big loop of Suffolk villages. The ford was even less impressive than I expected, but the rest of the village was another delightful Suffolk surprise!
The Ford (not just a mud puddle)
St Mary's by Amethina

Like the other Suffolk villages, there was amazing color along the road which leads you up to a steep flight of steps to St Mary's Church.

Quintessential Suffolk Cottage

The top two pictures on the left are River House
My favorite building was "Ye Olde River House, 1490", or so it said on a plaque which was obviously not all that 'olde'. The original gatehouse (hence the 1490) has been attached to a more recent house. It is a Grade II listed building which basically means you can't change a towel rack in the kitchen without asking first.

The gatehouse front
The side of River House as it runs along what I believe
 is called Kersey Brook
As I continue to blog the photos from my England trip I will also be using some taken my one of my traveling companions - Amethina, like this one...

Kersey Door Step Shop by Amethina 

No comments:

Post a Comment